Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mini Review: Broken

ASIN: B00JU73GN2
Pages: 219
Source: M.L. Young
Appearance: 
22009787

Summary:
Bailey Wrenn is a small town girl with a big back story. Her mother left when she was young, leaving her in the care of an out of touch alcoholic father that barely noticed her existence. After trudging through life with no clear direction, she begins to wonder if she needs to leave this scarred memory of a town behind and finally move on. When Bailey hears from her friend Julie that life in Chicago is great and she should come out sometime, she takes that open invitation, and comes to visit her old friend with no idea of when she’s going to leave. 
One night, after Julie drags her from the apartment to see a local fight, she sees Kyle, a mysterious MMA fighter with a winning streak and an elusive personality. He doesn’t talk to anybody after his fights, and disappears faster than Bailey can blink. One day during a chance encounter filling out job applications, Bailey runs into Kyle at his work, and the electricity between them is bright enough to light up the city. 
It’s only when they begin to get close, though, that things are turned upside down. An old boyfriend and a brutal and devastating past makes Bailey believe she can’t be close to another man ever again, even if he seems perfect. She feels alone. She’s broken. 

Hi everyone! Welcome to JUNE! I can't believe that it's June already! Well, I kinda said that in my wrap up but who cares! It's JUNE which means FINALS and SUMMER! Okay, I've calmed down, let's get into the review!

First off, I received this book from the author for an honest review so this is straight out what I feel about this book. Broken follows the story of Bailey, a girl who was abandoned by her mother, raised herself because her drunken father was, well, drunk, and how she leaves behind her small town full of bad memories and broken promises to the big city of Chicago, where she ultimately finds love and the chance to start anew. Overall, I thought the love/romance aspect of the story. It was pretty sweet and the interactions between Kyle and Bailey were really adorable. I have to admit that I felt their relationship was a bit deeper than I expected. I read a ton of reviews of Goodreads that all trashed their relationship, but I felt like it wasn't as terrible as everyone made it out to be. True, there wasn't much growth, but Kyle still respected Bailey and he essentially helped her get over her brokenness to become "whole" again. On the top of being broken, the "old boyfriend" in the story did not live up to my expectations at all. Bailey painted him as a psychopath and his personality screamed stalker and creepy. However, when he actually appeared face to face with her, it was not as thrilling as I expected. To put it mildly, I wish that there was a kidnapping and near murder. It all just fell flat on my expectations since Mr. Ex was portrayed as a scary stalker. Last thing to mention, the healing process. Admist all that's going on, there was a pretty strong feeling of healing. Kyle, like I said before, helped Bailey to get over her past and move on with her future. Along with that, Bailey manages to find an even ground with her father and we begin to see the beginning of a healing relationship that was broken. I definitely think that this was a nice read, some things fell a bit flat to my expectations, but overall it was pretty good. :)
3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment