Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mortal Heart

ISBN: 0547628404
Pages: 444
Source: Library
Appearance:

Summary:
Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.
She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...
 



Hello everyone! Welcome back to another review, I am finally writing my review for Mortal Heart. Emoji As many of you guys know, I absolutely LOVED the first two book in the His Fair Assassins trilogy (Grave Mercy & Dark Triumph) and Mortal Heart was one of my most anticipated releases last year. Why it took me so long to actually pick up the book and read it? I'll never know, but now that I have, I don't want the story to ever end! Anyway, enough rambling, let's actually get into the review:

Annith has watched her best friends grow in their skills and be sent out on missions to save the Duchy. She's the only one left of their group who hasn't received her own mission and rumors have been circling that the Abbess is planning on making Annith the new Seeress. Life as a Seeress is a a life of confinement and isolation and Annith refuses to be locked in a tower when she is certain the skills she possess could benefit Mortain's cause. So she does the unthinkable, she escapes from the covenant and sets out to discover her own mission and possibly find herself and the truth in the process.

Holy Mortain (I had to, sorry) this book was absolutely fantastic! I'm not even kidding when I say that the books get better as the trilogy progresses. I really enjoyed Grave Mercy, loved Dark Triumph, and freaking loved Mortal Heart. Out of all the girls: Sybella, Ismae, and Annith - Annith was definitely the one I felt connected with the most because she's soft spoken but has a heart of fire for what she loves so I was super excited to finally get my hands on her story. Now that the trilogy is over, I'm starting to feel withdrawal from the magical world and characters that Robin LaFevers has created. Seriously guys, if you haven't started this trilogy yet, you definitely need to get started because it's absolutely wonderful!

Similar to Sybella's story, we don't get much of Annith from the first or second books and the plotline acts parallel to the previous books up to a certain point just from a different POV before continuing on the story. This book showed Annith really growing out of her shell and just developing into this strong female character who is super kickass and skilled in the art of combat. She not only develops her fighting skills, but also develops from a girl to a woman. I mean, wow, I ship her relationship so dang hard it hurts inside.

I don't want to give away too much information regarding Annith's love interest, but his name is Balthazar and I think I found a new book boyfriend. He takes moody and mysterious to a whole new level and when the secrets come to light it's such an insane plot twist that I was left with my mouth gaping like a fish. It was crazy epic and something I did not anticipate, but I loved it so freaking much. His relationship with Annith started with a kidnapping of some sorts and as it progresses, it's got this air of forbidden love that just has you rooting for them from beginning to end. I can't exactly place what it was that made me love him so much as a character, but just the way he treated Annith with such gentleness and respect made me die a little inside.

Like I mentioned before, I don't ever want this trilogy to end, but since it did I have to say that it couldn't have ended in a less perfect way. So many secrets came to life, battles were fought, people were lost, but in the end everything was at peace. Now don't let that "happy ending" put you off from reading the book because once the book got started, you won't be able to put it down. The beginning was a teensy bit slow, but once Annith left the covenant it was heart pounding awesomeness from there onward.

Is it safe to say that I highly highly definitely recommend this book? Please do consider picking it up, if you are caught up with the trilogy and haven't yet, or pick up the trilogy because it's absolutely fantastic! Does anyone know what Robin LaFevers has planned next because I'm in His Fair Assassin withdrawal mode right now.


5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment