Monday, March 23, 2015

Where One Goes

ISBN13: 9781311022677
Pages: 244
Source: Nook
Appearance:
24323918

Summary:
What happens when the very thing ruining your life ends up saving it?
I was never one to believe in spirits—until six years ago, when a bone-chilling accident changed my life…forever.
My name is Charlotte, but most people call me Char…and I have a special gift.
I talk to the dead.
Make no mistake, I can’t summon them. I’m only able to see and speak to the spirits that linger when they’re unable to crossover. They’re somehow weighted to the world with unfinished affairs. And for the last six years, I’ve relentlessly used my gift to help their lost souls.
But it’s come at a price. My life is dark. Feeling despondent, I’ve begun to give up. And in helping the dead, I’ve realized I haven’t allowed myself to live. With no money, no place to go, and most importantly… no hope, I’ve decided there is only one option—to end it all.
But fate is a funny thing. One minute, I’m about to leap to my death, and the next, I’m saved by Ike McDermott. The strong, striking soldier stopped me from putting an end to my despair. He’s the kind of man that smiles and brightens an entire room.
Sweet and gentle.
He is my savior.
And he’s dead.
We’ve made an agreement. He’ll help me find a place to stay and a new job if I’ll help him with his unfinished business so that he may crossover.
Ike’s unfinished matter involves his twin brother, George. George has been falling apart since Ike’s death and Ike has not been able to compel himself to crossover in peace until he knows George will be okay.
When I agreed to help, little did I know that I’d fall in love with the charming folks of Bath County, and…Ike and George McDermott.
Now, as both brothers own equal parts of my heart, I am faced with a cruel and unfair predicament. In saving George, I must let go of Ike.
But how does one let go of half of their heart?
 


Hello everyone! So if you read my Plan for this week, you'll know that I recently discovered this book from Aesta's Book Blog and she wrote this amazing review that had my heart racing. Of course I did the most logical thing and went on Barnes and Noble to purchase a copy for my Nook because I couldn't wait to start. Usually when a book is an impulse buy I don't start it immediately because I know I own it so there's no worry about not having it in the future. However, something about the summary just completely grabbed me and refused to let go. I started the book immediately and finished it in a day. The following review may not be my most coherent ones because the feels, but let's give it a shot~

Charlotte can see the dead which can come as both a blessing or a curse. Her parents have disowned her and think she's crazy so jumping off a bridge to end her miserable life does not seem like such a bad idea. Everything was going well until someone stopped her, correction a dead someone stops her. His name is Ike McDermont and he died in Afghanistan while on duty. His unfinished business comes in the form of his twin brother George who after finding about Ike's death has succumbed to snorting drugs and reckless sleeping around. Charlotte agrees to help George only because Ike isn't letting her jump, but as she spends more time with the brothers, she finds herself falling in love with both the sunny and dependent Ike and the moody broken George. 

Let me get things straight, the feels in this book are literally overboard. I don't know if I actually breathed at all while reading this because I was so immersed. There are moments where you're gripping the edge of the seat and you just burst out laughing because the author weaves this random comment that fits perfectly in the situation. The story is written in two points of views: Ike and Charlotte and it allows you explore both their personalities. At first I was a bit sad that we didn't get George but (little spoiler) he does get to say a bit towards the very end. Everything about this book is just so heartwarming and beautiful and as cliched as it sounds, it reminded the amazing aspects of contemporary that you just don't find in a fantasy novel.

Charlotte has been through a lot and you don't know what until later on in the story. Despite being called insane by her parents and drugged by doctors until her parents threw her money and told her to get out, she's so incredibly resilient and strong. Having to deal with a drugged up emotionally unstable man is not easy, especially when she sees herself in him, but Charlotte manages to take everything he throws at her and go with it. While some decisions she made were definitely a bit rash, everything came around and at the end if she's crying then I'm sobbing.

Ike and George. Dear Heavens help me because I can't even choose. The two brothers are so different yet so incredibly similar. If you're not fond of love triangles like I am, don't worry because this one is not your typical one. I love Ike, I actually do. He's sweet, funny, a bit of a smartass at times but all in his easy gentle way. He manages to make you smile and hold your heart because he's so incredible. The way his connection with Charlotte eased easily from distrust and annoyance (on Char's part) into an amicable friendship is pretty much due to his nature. Also that dream/fantasy life they shared, did anyone else burst into tears? George on the other hand took some time to get used to, but once he makes his way into your heart there's no going back. His relationship with Charlotte started off shaky, but as she continued to push through his walls and boundaries, he started opening up and their relationship bloomed. I think it's pretty obvious who Charlotte ends up with, but the entire book has you begging that someone miraculous is going to happen. The ending was beautiful but one hell of an emotional blow.

Final thoughts, can someone please tell me where I can find this town? Everyone here seems so incredibly nice I just want to run away and live there for a while. People like the McDermonts, Sniper, Anna, and the Mercers are just so golden and precious that it will definitely bring a smile to your face. I think it's safe to say that I adored this book and I definitely think you should go pick it up!!


“Would you dance with me tonight if you could?” - Charlotte
His brows rise, surprised by my question. Standing, he looks down at me, his expression serious. “Every fucking song.” - Ike

"Yeah well, you're growing on me. Kind of like a fungus." - George
"You really know how to make a girl feel special George," I reply, tossing my crumpled up wrapper at him. "That burger was awesome, but I probably just gained a thousand pounds eating it...Well I think I just gained a third butt cheek." - Charlotte

“It’s an odd bond. I’m fighting to give her and my brother life, while she’s fighting to help me let go. Somehow we’ve become tethered to one another, even though we both know our time is limited.” - Ike

"I'm sorry I couldn't carve that I & C in the tree for you." - Ike

4 out of 5 stars
   

Foreverly Obsessed,


2 comments: