Thursday, July 31, 2014

Imitation

ISBN: 1482761289 
Pages: 272
Source: Mark My Words Publicity
Appearance: 
17427430

Summary:
Everyone is exactly like me. 
There is no one like me. 
The rough fabric of my cotton nightgown chafes so I lie very still. They say my discomfort comes from being built like one accustomed to niceties. How is that fair when I myself have never experienced anything but copies of the real thing? 
My entire life is an imitation. 
I am an Imitation. 
I’ve been here five years. Training. Preparing. Waiting.
And now I have a letter.
My assignment has begun. 
I am a prisoner.
I am not Raven Rogen.
I am here to die.

Hey guys! Welcome to the last review for the month of July!! I received this amazing mind blowing novel that completely blew my expectations away. A copy was provided by Mark My Words Publicity but the opinion below is completely mine :)

Ven is an Imitation, created and bred to one day take the place of her Authentic should her Authentic ever be in danger. She knows what she has been bred to do, but when her note actually comes, she is not prepared for the world that is outside Twig City. Once she steps outside the City, she finds herself wrapped up in a whirlwind of political drama. Her Authentic's name is Raven Rogen and her life is being threatened. Ven's job is to convince those threatening that she is Raven and she must quell the rebellion that Raven herself helped to create. If she succeeds all is well, if she fails, everyone she cares about will die.

I repeat again, this book completely blew my expectations. I'm pretty picky when it comes to science fiction/dystopia books so I didn't have super high expectations. BUT when I started reading I was just completely sucked into this whirlwind of events and characters and everything and I fell in love with the story. 

Ven is such a thought provoking character and honestly she was amazing. For an Imitation, Ven struggles with the concept of whether she is human or if she literally is just a scientific project. Does being human equate to having specific physical traits or emotion and intellect? Also, from creation Ven was taught that she is product and yet she feels more complex than just a product which brings her to believe that being human is more than what she originally thought. Her emotions made her someone really easy to connect to and as she discovers the answers to her questions, we are also enlightened and it definitely changes our perspectives on things.

The rest of the characters are really wonderfully created. Titus is such a complex character that just evokes a lot of confusion. Is he genuinely a nice father who loves his daughter and doesn't want to risk her life, thus hiding her and bringing out a decoy? Or is he something more twisted? You also start comparing Authentic with Imitation. Raven versus Ven. To be honest, I liked them both. Raven was a bit on the social elitist scale but she has this passion in her that you can't ignore. And Ven, like I said before, makes you question humanity and life and just makes you think on a deeper level. Linc was definitely swoon-worthy and his personality really matches with Ven's. The romance in the story receives a definite thumbs up! 

Overall, I definitely recommend this book. It was such an engaging and fun read and I definitely plan on picking up the second book. Imitation ends on a bit abruptly which made me sad but it sets up a perfect stage for book two. :)
4 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment