Sunday, July 27, 2014

Every Ugly Word

ISBN: 9781254738590
Pages: 
Source: Mark My Words Publicity
Appearance: 
22818100

Summary:
When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.
Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.

Hey everyone! Ahh, I keep taking long breaks from the blog and I'm so sorry!! August is going to be a busy tour month so I'm definitely going to stepping up my game when that comes along. Anyway, enough of the apologies, let's get into the review!! 

(This book was provided by Mark My Words Publicity for review, but the opinion is completely mine.)

Can I say how much this book affected me? Every Ugly Word focuses on the aftermath of bullying and not the little bullying that everyone endures sometime in their life, but the real deal, where you are literally alone and pretty much everyone is against you. Where passive bystanders don't really exist because everyone just wants to see you suffer. That's a bit extreme, but essentially that's what is going on. Ashley is pretty much bullied to the point where if she did commit suicide, nobody would feel bad, nobody would miss her. That thought alone just rocked me to the core because it reveals how cruel society can be and how meaningless some people view the lives of others.

So, Ashley is bullied. Her only saving graces are art, Matt, and her older self who she can see in the mirror. Art allows her to release her anger at the world through her pictures. Matt makes her feel loved, even though he's dating one of the evilest people alive. Her older self urges her to keep going because if she survived the torments back then, Ashley can survive it now. I have to admit, the concept of the "Older Self" confused me at first but everything starts to make sense at the end. In the end, it is actually really cool how the author managed to put everything together. Older Her is sort of cursed to watch a new and younger version of herself live out the torture she had to endure and not be able to change the outcomes of her younger self's actions. 

For the romance, I have to say I was really annoyed at both love interests. Dex is a flat out douchebag, there I said it, and I don't even feel bad about it. He is horrible and evil and should just go away. Matt on the otherhand was sweet at times but so incredibly naive to the point where you want to chuck something at him. Something hard and that will hurt when it hits him. And then there's older Matt who I don't know how I feel. I hate him for doubting older Ashley, but at the end I still felt bad for him. But younger Matt is just so aggravating! He only saw his evil demon spawned girlfriend's outward beauty that he completely ignored the pleas for help that came from Ashley. Just... 

The ending completely blew me away. It was fantastic and amazing. It led to so much hope for the future and while my heart still aches from the loss of a character, I'm really proud of Ashley for surviving her tormentors and proving to them that she is better and stronger. Matt, okay, he definitely redeemed himself in the end. All in all, perfect conclusion. 

If it isn't already evident, please go pick this up! It is a bit on the heavy side so if you're not into that you might to steer clear. But if you're ready for all the heavy baggage that comes with bullying, definitely pick this up because it's just amazing.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment