Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Anna and the French Kiss

ISBN: 0142419400
Pages: 372
Source: Library
Appearance:
9754815

Summary:
Can Anna find love in the City of Light?
Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken —and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she's waiting for?

Hey everyone! So I am finally reviewing Anna and the French Kiss which received so much hype last year. I waited so long to actually pick it up because at the moment I wasn't really craving a cute contemporary. Anyway, I finally read it and let's go see what I thought! :)

Anna's father has decided that now that he's rich and somewhat famous, he's going to send her to France for her last year of high school because that's what all the rich daddies do. Anna on the other hand, doesn't want to go to France. She doesn't want to leave behind her friends and a potential boyfriend. She likes the way life is. Upon arrival to France, Anna meets a couple friends, among them, Etienne St. Clair. Etienne is dorky, adorable, and unbelievably amazing. One problem, he's in a "steady" relationship with Ellie.

This book has been so hyped on the blogosphere (is that how you spell it?) that I knew I had to pick it up. After finishing it, I definitely see why so many people love it. Anna and the French Kiss is full of cutesy romance that makes your heart flutter, your face light up like it's Christmas, and your stomach hurt because you can't stop laughing. 

Okay, I'm going to criticize a bit so please don't hate! I really enjoyed the book but I still had some problems with it. For one, I don't take cheating really well, whether it's physical or mental. Etienne said at when he confessed his feelings to Anna that even though he was dating Ellie he constantly thought about her and his feelings for her, but he was too afraid to break it off with Ellie. That struck a really bad chord inside of me. I love Etienne, he's sweet, perfect, and beautiful, but that comment did not sit well with me.

Anna, how to even begin to describe Anna. I couldn't connect with her like I had hoped, which I know is really different from what other people think. I can't really place why I felt a bit disappointed by her character. She was a great narrator and made me laugh several times, but I just felt a bit out of place at times with her as a character.

The other characters were definitely lovable. Anna's friends in Paris were super fun to read about and Rashmi, I loved her little retorts, it just made everything more fun. Anna's friends back in the states on the other hand...I did not like. Toph is a jerk, her best friend is also a jerk, and just because your friend goes off abroad doesn't mean you start keeping secrets and going behind her back. That's just a jerky thing to do. Seriously.

Overall, the story was a fun and enjoyable read. I wish I hadn't gone into this book with such high expectations, but that was really hard considering how hyped the book was. Anyway, despite it not meeting my super crazy high expectations, I still really enjoyed the book and definitely recommend. Paris is beautiful and gawds I want to go there so badly!! EmojiEmojiEmoji


4 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the cheating part but I guess Etienne is too amazing that I could overlook that small part! (Hey it was just MENTAL cheating anyway haha) I love love loved this book so much and oh god I know how you feel - I wish I could go to Paris too! Great review! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete