Monday, December 9, 2013

Enthralled (Part 1)

Enthralled by Combined Authors
ISBN: 978-0-06-201579-2
Pages: 443
Appearance:

Summary:
A journey may take hundreds of miles, or it may cover the distance between duty and desire.
Sixteen of today’s hottest writers of paranormal tales weave stories on a common theme of journeying. Authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, and Melissa Marr return to the beloved worlds of their bestselling series, while others, like Claudia Gray, Kami Garcia, and Margaret Stohl, create new land-scapes and characters. But whether they’re writing about vampires, faeries, angels, or other magical beings, each author explores the strength and resilience of the human heart.


Hey guys! Welcome to my book review of Enthralled, a collection of paranormal short stories written by some of the “hottest” teen authors out there. Because everything’s divided into 16 different stories, I thought I’d share one or two sentences on each. So let’s get into it!

Wait, I lied. First, I just want to say that I’m not trying to offend anyone in any way, some stories just didn't make a good impression on me or confused me. I don’t know if the short is a spin-off from another series which might be why I’m not getting some of them, but I don’t know. If you do know, please let me know below and enlighten me! Also, because the book does contain 16 stories, so I’ll be breaking this up in half. So the reviews following this is part 1 and part 2 will be a separate blog post. Okay, NOW we’re going to get into the review.

Giovanni’s Farewell by Claudia Gray
Personal opinion and I’m not here to offend anyone, but this was not a good opening for the story. I was so confused on what was going on. So Cairo and Ravenna have special powers? And what’s up with Giovanni? He died from an accident at the ruins and hasn't been able to leave earth because before he died, he wished he could kiss a beautiful girl. That is WHY he’s still lurking around? On the brighter side, Ravenna and Cairo reconcile, the bond of twins.
Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
This was pretty, um, interesting. I was a bit confused as to what was going on, but then figured that it was set in another apocalyptic world. Sally and Margie are living in a house that is secluded from the world protecting them from the chaos outside. Then this guy comes, wins their trust, and then does a complete 360 betrayal on them. It was, how do we put it? Confusing.
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Red Run by Kami Garcia
This was the story that kept me reading this book. Edie is this girl driven with revenge. She wants to kill the ghost that haunts the Red Run because he killed her brother. Or so she thinks. It’s a really well woven story-line that gives you a historical background of the “cursed” Red Run while unfolding a story at the same time. The part where Edie was deciding to trust the man or Tommy I was literally jumping out of my seat screaming “Tommy!” Come on, who’d you trust? A ghost or a guy who lives alone in the middle of the forest smelling like marijuana? Pick the lesser of two evils.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
I thought this was a super clever and interesting twist on the whole concept of genies. Instead of viewing them as the grantor of 3 wishes, this story is about what the genie and human world are like after a genie fell in love. I know, horrifying. Genies aren't supposed to fall in love. It follows Lawrence, the main character who knows waaaay too much about the genie world and is assigned a genie to guard him every once in a while. His guard this time is Juliette, a relatively young genie with a big curiosity about love. She wants to figure out all about it. I just think it’s super cute and sweet. Juliette finds out that love isn't’t just about kissing and Lawrence finds love in an unexpected partner.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
This was very interesting. Ha, not a great way to start a review. I loved the twist on the original take of mythological beings. Sabine is a Nightmare, not so sure what that means. Emma’s human. And they’re currently in the middle of harpy territory. Sabine is in love with this kid named Nash and wants to find out if they will end up together by consulting Syrie, the bean sidhe (banshee) who is protected by Nea and her band of harpies. Wow, that was a mouthful of background info. To cut things short, they get into a fight and there’s some butt-kicking action. Definitely an interesting read.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr
To be 100% honest, my knowledge of the author is making me a bit biased. I absolutely hands down love Melissa Marr. They involve faeries and cool stuff! Yay! XD Okay, moving on. This is the story of Keenan and his beloved Donia. According the background info given, Keenan gave up his immortality and fae powers to save Donia who is now the Winter Queen. Donia now lives in constant fear that his mortality won’t be able to handle the power of the winter. Anyway, they go on this little “honeymoon” type vacation in the human world to just relax and forget about life and its troubles. Don’t want to give away too much, but it’s not as peaceful and free because something happens!!
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
Kelley Armstrong is another author that I really like. Again, I’m assuming this is a spin off from a book or series that she’s written because there is a lot of background info. There is some action Chloe and Derek chase a ghost around a mall before realizing that they’re chasing the wrong person. Then there’s this whole face off where Chloe finds some hidden strengthen within her and becomes confident. Yay!
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Let’s Get this Undead Show On the Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
A bit confusing, especially the whole scene with the guy “kidnapping” the band members. So 4 the One is this boyband who is currently one of the hottest bands out there, their little specialty? One of their members is a vampire. To be honest, I got a bit annoyed when Faye did the whole talk about Christian (vampire) appealing to the girls because he has this air of loneliness. Just because he’s different? Argh, annoys me so much. But I admire Christian for his self control while being locked up with his bandmates because that shows he really cares about his friends and won’t let his bloodlust get control of him.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars




"What made you trust me?"
"Your eyes," Edie answered. "The eyes don't lie."
"Even if you're a ghost?"
"Especially if you're a ghost." (Red Run)

Here are things I learned about love. It involves kissing. It changes you. It's never where you expect it. (Things About Love)

Everything I could want in eternity is possible because of you. (Merely Mortal)
Overall: 3 out of 5 stars

Remember to be on the lookout for Part II of Enthralled's reviews!! 

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv



No comments:

Post a Comment