Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Law of Moses

ISBN: 1502830825
Pages: 332
Source: Own
Publication Date: November 18, 2014
Appearance:
23638813

Summary:
If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.
Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.
It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.
And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.
And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.

Hello everyone! In honor of the Song of David releasing ten days ago I thought it was time I finally review the Law of Moses which I read back in April. Alright, let's get started~

The Law of Moses follows a boy who was abandoned as a child and grew up to be the center of town gossip. He was known as the bad boy in town and everyone was warned to stay away from him because he was broken. However that only made Georgia want to approach him even more. A girl with a fiery heart and snarky attitude to match, Georgia views Moses as a challenge and she's determined to win. Little does she know that his soulful eyes will soon become her undoing as they fall into the beginning of a long and crazy love story.

So I believe this is my third Amy Harmon book and she does NOT disappointment with her writing. Literally I cannot stop staying enough praises about how beautiful her writing style is and how inspired her stories make me feel. This book has a surprising paranormal aspect thrown in which I wasn't expecting but it turned out to be quite a nice surprise. Moses has this ability to bring the past to life through his art and he becomes this gateway for others to see their past loved ones when they see his paintings. It's not only a change from the usual ghost-whisperer stereotype but it incorporates something so beautiful into the whole story. 

The story line encompasses a good couple of years worth of their main characters' lives from their teen years to I'm assuming mid to late 30s. This allows us as readers to see how each character grows through time and how life affects each person differently. In addition to the paranormal element of the story, there's also this surprise mystery aspect of the story which completely took me by surprise. I can't begin to say how much more the story grew in terms of fullness with all these surprise elements and how everything together made it an absolutely magical read.

My one "complaint" comes in the form of Georgia. I found it really difficult to connect with her compared to other female protagonists. She's very reckless and rash in her decisions, but I still enjoyed seeing her grow as a character and being able to see two sides of her: with and without Moses. As a character, she was very well developed but in terms of connecting with her, it didn't work as well. Moses on other hand completely stole my heart. His somewhat erratic behavior comes through in his attitude towards everything resulting in his title as a "crack baby." He goes through so much self discovery it almost astounding when you compare Moses at page 1 to the end and the whole experience was so uplifting.

I just want to share one quick little detail of the story but there might be subtle spoilers. The child! Not going to say who's child, but those of you who have read the book will know who I'm implying. That was just plain cruel to write that part for both the reader and the individual characters. I think my heart stopped beating when I found out what happened. I literally died inside for a good chunk of the book...

Overall I did enjoy the story. While I'm a bit bugged that I didn't love all the characters as much as I loved Amy Harmon's other characters, this book is still super fantastic and amazing! Definitely recommend and I can't wait to start Tag's story. It's going to be crazy I can already feel it :)

4.5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment