Thursday, March 10, 2016

Review: Borrowed Magic

ISBN: 1522998616
Pages: 287
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Publication Date: February 1, 2016
Initial Reaction:
 
After a three-year siege, Lord Kern, the dark mage, is dead. Magic has left Tredare, and life is almost back to normal. 
For everyone except Maren, that is.
Before the siege, an attack by Lord Kern left Maren near death and with a sliver of magic buried deep inside her. Now, for reasons Maren doesn’t understand, that magic has been triggered, giving her the ability to “see” the truth: that her world is nothing more than a magical façade; and that the kingdom’s hero may not be a hero at all.
But this gift of sight comes at a high cost. Maren is in constant pain, and fears her own death is imminent. Plus, no one believes her suspicions that another Dark Mage has risen, and that Tredare may be in just as much danger as it was when Kern was alive. 
With the country’s future in the hands of a man who’s vowed revenge on its king, Maren must convince someone else of the truth. Unfortunately, the only person powerful enough to help is also the one man she can’t trust; the man she almost married; the man who abandoned her and disappeared for three years: Kern’s son.
As Tredare crumbles around them, Maren must persuade him to help - before the king is murdered by the very hero he reveres; and before the same magic that gives Maren the gift of sight also takes her life.
Hello everyone! Today I've got my review for Borrowed Magic by Shari Lambert which is an epic young adult high fantasy full of revenge, political tension, and magic.

The story begins with the triumphant death of Kern, the dark mage, who has wrecked havoc on Tredare with his thirst of power. He was killed by his own son Phillip whom our main character Maren had some history with but who also broke her heart. Right from the beginning, this book hooked me with its fascinating writing and amazing plot line. Shari Lambert made it so easy to adore Maren, Adare, and Daric and when that plot twist came I wasn't sure if Maren would be able to handle it. 

Based on the reviews I've read, I think it's a consensus that everyone pretty much adores the characters. Maren is so well crafted as a character and she has this ability to just narrate the story so well. I felt my heart twist in a hundred different ways when she became this puppet like slave and is forced to watch the people she loves get hurt. Thank Goodness she took some action but there were definitely times where I wanted her to stop because it hurt too much to watch. The other characters definitely grow on you as the story progresses. Each one has this distinct personality but Phillip and Kira are definitely my favorite. They are so important in the story and while I definitely disliked Kira in the beginning, she grew on me quite a bit.

Borrowed Magic was full of surprises and had amazing characters to back it up. I really enjoyed the whole story and the ending left me speechless. Speaking of the ending, it was mindblowing but a small part of me still felt unsatisfied with the delivery. The author did such a good job in prepping the everything up to that final moment and there was so much pain and tension in the air that I was waiting for my mind to explode. Instead, my mind "exploded" in a different way due to the unexpected twists but not in the "my life just ended" kind of way. Either way, I still enjoyed the story and it's a definite recommend!

*I recieved a copy from Xpresso Book Tours for review. All opinions are 100% my own.*

 3.5 out of 5 stars
  

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment