Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Paranormal Keepers

ISBN: 0991576209
Pages: 396
Source: WordSlinger/Author
Publication Date: March 11, 2014
Appearance:
20642157

There’s no such thing as magic and monsters. Or so I once thought.
After a fateful night before my junior year that starts out as innocent goofing around with friends, strange shadows and mysterious noises seem to be everywhere and I’m starting to think something sinister was let into my life. When my boyfriend is brutally murdered, the police write it off as a freak accident, deciding my “strange” testimony is given under duress. I know whatever got to Gavin wasn’t human and I refuse to stop looking until I find his killer, even if it proves once and for all that there are monsters living among us.

With the discovery that ghosts, mothmen, witches, vampires and all supernatural beings are real, Harper Young finds herself amidst a complex bundle of unseen heroes who call themselves “Keepers," sworn to protect the secrets of the paranormal creatures that walk this earth. As she tries to understand what’s so special about her that she’s able to break an old Keeper law and attend Guardare Academy, Harper has a baffling vision of kissing a mysterious guy before a blade is brought down on him. Before she can get a handle on her future, she becomes central to a battle between the questionable “heroes” and the evil she’s been training to fight, leaving her to wonder if there’s any way to change the fate that has been foretold before it’s too late.
 

Hello everyone! So today I'm going to be doing my quite long overdue review for Paranormal Keepers by Jen Naumann. I was sent a copy by the author through Word Slinger Publicity a couple months ago and I read this back in June...so it's been a while. Anyway I'm attempting to do VEDA (Video Every Day in August) but on the blog and every other day so I can finally review all the books that have been piling up since forever before school starts in September. With that being said, let's just get into my review!!

Harper Young discovers that the paranormal might just be the new normal for her when her boyfriend is brutally killed in a freak accident by a monster. She knows that what killed him is not from this world, but what she didn't expect was to be part of it. Then she's introduced to the Keepers, a group sworn to protect the secrets of the paranormal creatures on Earth. While everyone there has some sort of magical ability or ancestral connection, Harper seems pretty human and out of place. Fitting in isn't easy, but it's something she has to do especially if the monster that killed her boyfriend is out to get her too.

This book is set in a really intriguing world with a huge cast of characters and creatures. It has a Vampire Academy setting in that there are "royal bloods" who act like they rule the school and a lot of self defense classes. Paranormal Keepers is definitely unique on its own, but the plot seemed pretty similar to a lot of other Young Adult books out there with the MC finding out about the paranormal world and being connected to a bigger overall prophecy.

Harper as a character didn't really click with me. I felt a bit distant from all the characters, but I think the intrigue of the Keeper world kept me hooked. There's a lot of backstabbing in this book in terms of friends which was a bit depressing to be honest, but it was cool to see Harper grow through those experiences. 

Still, there are so many unanswered questions with different relationships and prophecies which made the story seem a bit flat. If I had to summarize the entire novel in a phrase I'd go with "setting up." That's what the novel felt like to me - just a set up to what could be an amazing and intense series. There were still a good number of plot twists to keep the story going so it didn't seem boring. To wrap things up, I think this series has a lot of potential with all the answered questions, but in terms of this book by itself - it didn't make a huge impact on me.

3.5 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of this but sounds good !
    Great review ;)

    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool :) Thanks so much for commenting ♥

      ~Riv

      Delete