Friday, April 25, 2014

Fangirl

ISBN: 1250030951
Pages: 438
Source: Library
Appearance:

16068905

Summary:
A coming-of-age tale of fanfiction, family, and first love.
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan.... But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she's really good at it. She and her twin, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fanfiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend; a fiction-writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world; a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words...and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


Hey guys! I finally finally FINALLY have my review of Fangirl for you guys. This took me quite a while to get over, and I'm still not completely done fangirling!!

Cath is so not ready for college. College means moving out, growing out, meeting new people. Cath prefers to stay in her room, surrounded by her beloved Simon Snow and Baz posters, and continue writing her fanfiction and talk to her fans. When she arrives, she feels completely and utterly alone. Her twin sister Wren is living the life of a college girl, partying her nights away. Her roommate Reagan seems to not really like her. And then there's Levi, Reagan's friend who is always hanging in their room. 

Fangirl was such a lovely book! I'm so glad that I got my hands on it and it really bugs me that it took so long for me to read it after hearing so many great reviews about it. Cath is so socially awkward it's adorable and a bit embarrassing because I see more of myself in her than I'd like to admit. I would absolutely die to meet her in real life because I have no doubt we'd become the best of friends. Cath writes fanfiction which I personally have never gotten into reading, but after reading this I definitely got the urge to read some for myself. I love her passion for her fans, for Simon Snow, for her writing; that passion is really hard to resist. I found myself sitting in front of unfinished stories that I started because I got this urge to write something. Cath is just amazing, I absolutely love love love her so much!

Simon Snow is the fandom of this story and is Rainbow Rowell's adaptation of Harry Potter. Honestly, I have to give her major props for creating such a beautiful story, a compelling fandom, and write a fanfiction all in one book. I think that as of finishing the book, I am officially a Simon Snow fan as well. Everything about the writing was so just real and relatable that it was pretty shocking to finish the book and realize that it wasn't happening around you. 

Okay, starting the fangirling, just thought I'd warn you. LEVI AND CATH!!! They have just the sweetest, cutest, loveliest relationship ever! Their relationship is so simple that my heart just cries tears of joy. Their love for each other is simple, Cath's writing, Levi's hair, Cath's awkwardness, Levi's smiles, it's so freaking cute! AND, Cath reads to Levi while sitting between his legs on the bed. It's just so adorable, I can't. I loved their relationship, I loved how their relationship grew, and I love them! Did that make any sense at all?

Fangirl really touched me on a lot of levels. It outlined the fears of a college freshman, the simplicity of love, the bond of sisters, a father-daughter love, the feeling of hurt and betrayal, the list could go on forever. I highly recommend this book, it was an amazing read and absolutely positively lovely. 

“In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't Google.)” 

“Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,” Wren said. “It’s the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.” 

“But you're so helpless sometimes. It's like watching a kitten with its head trapped in a Kleenex box.” 

“Real life was something happening in her peripheral vision.” 

4.5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,






No comments:

Post a Comment