Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mini-Review: Anxious Hearts

ISBN: 978-0-8109-8718-0
Pages: 242
Appearance:
6735897
Summary: 
“Evangeline,” he repeated, calling at a whisper. “Evangeline.” He was not calling that she may hear, he was calling that somehow her soul might know that he was devoted entirely to her, only to her. “Evangeline, I will find you.”
Eva and Gabe explore the golden forest of their seaside Maine town, unknowingly tracing the footsteps of two teens, Evangeline and Gabriel, who once lived in the idyllic wooded village of Acadia more than one hundred years ago. On the day that Evangeline and Gabriel were be wed, their village was attacked and the two were separated. And now in the present, Gabe has mysteriously disappeared from Eva.
A dreamlike, loose retelling of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s famous love poem “Evangeline,” Anxious Hearts tells an epic tale of unrequited love and the hope that true love can be reunited.


Hey everyone! So I've decided to try something a bit different and that is Mini Reviews! Basically they're a regular review but condensed into one paragraph. I have so many books to read/review that I don't have time to sit down and write full reviews for all. I'm planning on doing these type of reviews for kind of middle ground books for me, but currently I am really swamped so I might have a couple 3.5-4 star books that'll get mini reviews. BUT the plan once things slow down is 3 star books = mini reviews. With that being said, yes this was a middle ground 3 star book in my opinion. So let's get into the review!

To be completely honest, this book did not live up to my expectations. The summary had it sounding like some enchanting retelling, but in my point of view, it was a pretty shallow love story with a bit too much mush. I read about 4-5 chapters and had to put it down because I couldn't really get into the story. (I did pick it up to finish later, but this was not a one-sitting, super compelling book.) Anxious Hearts is divided between 2 points of views: Eva in the present day and Gabriel 200 years earlier. My problem with the present day couple was that they were very flat and you didn't really know much about them other than the fact that they were in love. Gabriel and Evangeline (200 years earlier) had a sort of haunting love story that was just flat out creepy. Let me explain: Gabriel likes to watch Evangeline work and sketches her without her noticing because she's just that beautiful. Evangeline is depicted as this beautiful girl but her actions and personality screams spooky. In regards to the writing, it was very pretty. I fell in love with the prologue and epilogue because the poetic language and writing style was just so beautiful. The story itself was pretty, but not exactly my cup of tea. The cover though, let me tell you! That cover is absolutely breathtaking. The formatting of the pages and chapters inside are also pretty amazing. Overall, this book was generally really pretty but "hollow," if you get what I mean. 
Full front/back cover:
3 out of 5 stars
Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv




No comments:

Post a Comment