Saturday, April 30, 2016

Review: The Twistedly True Guardian Tale

ASIN: B012PMF0G4
Pages: 210
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Publication Date: August 9 2015
Initial Reaction:
🙂
In the small town of Woodsville, Ruby Hood is settling into her role as Guardian of the Wood. In the blink of an eye, her monumental high school graduation comes and goes without her attendance. There are too many other things on her mind.
Her mom, Christine Wood, has just returned from caring for Ruby's ill grandmother. Kent Wolf finally gets released from the hospital and Kayla Wolf is desperate to make amends, while Dylan Hunter works to hone his Huntsman skills. Everything seems like it’s going to work itself out, until Ivy Snow shows up on Ruby’s front porch with an RV filled with seven dwarfs.
As a new darkness casts a shadow over Woodsville, Ruby is unsure where to turn when turmoil erupts in the Wood, and finds herself aligned with an unusual cast of characters. As Guardian of the Wood, Ruby worries that she can’t save everyone, but what if she is the one who needs saving? 
The Twistedly True Guardian Tale brings us back to the world of Wood where Ruby is the newly appointed Guardian. After the events of the first book, everything has been turned upside down and Ruby is struggling to grasp her new role. When she meets Ivory Snow and her RV of seven men who have been unfortunately turned into dwarfs, she sets off to help them reverse the spell.

The first book was full of cliched tropes and lots of eye rolling but at the end, I was pleasantly surprised with how everything turned out and I found that I actually quite enjoyed it. The Twistedly True Guardian Tale follows the steps of the first one, but I found myself struggling to get back into the world and with the characters. It wasn't that there was a large gap between books, I read the first book in February, but I felt out of place with the world.

Regardless, I still enjoyed the plot and delivery of the story. Sure there were still a handful of eye rolling moments and sections where I wanted to groan in frustration, but overall it was still a fun story to read. My main problem with this book lies with Ruby herself. I confess that I didn't really have an opinion of her in the first book but I didn't dislike her. Her character in this book just irritated me at random moments from the choices she made to her overall personality.

Ivory Snow on the other hand I really liked. I swear I'm not biased because she shares the same name as my bunny. I find the Disney version of Snow White really annoying so I've always been wary of the Snow White story but Ivory portrays her part of the story really well. The other characters sort of remained the same for me, I didn't really change my opinion on them which I guess is good.

As much I liked the premise of the story, I found myself fighting with Ruby throughout the book. Nevertheless, this is a really unique spin on the classic Little Red Riding Hood tale and something to keep an eye on.
3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment