Thursday, February 18, 2016

Review: Henchgirl

ISBN: 1517470773 
Pages: 468
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Publication Date: January 12, 2016
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Initial Reaction: 
The children of dragons and humans, the dracons, control eighty percent of the world’s governments. Humans worldwide are either subservient or prey. On the small vacation island of Mabi, humans call for war.
Sixteen year old Dakota Kekoa lives a double life. By day, she pretends to be a human to infiltrate Mabi Academy, a 'human's only' high-school. At night, she works as a henchman for her draconic mafia family, utilizing her ability to steal and manipulate emotions.
When Dakota’s human friend is kidnapped, she takes on the mission to find her. This is not just any mission though; she is diving head first into the escalating conflict between humans and dracons. As more girls disappear and some are discovered dead, Dakota realizes her first honorable mission may also be her last. 
 Hello everyone! Today I have my review for Henchgirl by Rita Stradling!

My initial reaction after reading this book was a lot of feels. This book is so many levels of fun with its witty banter and the fact that it has DRAGONS. I can’t even recall the last time I read a book about dragons so this book definitely made an impact in that sense.

The story is addicting and once I got started, I didn’t want to stop. It was so easy to find myself sucked into the intricate plot line where so many things were happening that it was difficult to keep track of it all.

Dakota is witty and snarky which made reading from her perspective really entertaining. Her family has strict standards that women with a small percentage of dragon blood must be bred to continue on the dragon species. She is special since she is able to use her power to work as a henchgirl for her grandfather. I found myself really intrigued by her power – she’s something like a succubus where she can absorb a person’s emotions and manipulate them.

Moving on to Wyvern…he started off as this infuriating control freak. At the end, he’s still an infuriating control freak but he has managed to worm his way into my affections. His relationship with Dakota is just so adorable and even though it did border insta-attraction, their relationship has the opportunity to grow throughout the novel so it didn’t stay at the surface level.


The plot twists in this book just never cease. From the suspense with the disappearing girls to the constant political tension between the humans and the dragons – this book was full of amazing twists and turns. However, I will admit that there are some parts of the story that could have been improved but overall I enjoyed how everything played out. That ending just leaves me desperate for the next book which is titled Rex.

*I received a copy from YA Bound Book Tours for review. All opinions are 100% my own.*
3.5/5 stars
  

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment