Sunday, February 7, 2016

Review: Beyond the Stars

ASIN: B01AGF8X70
Pages: 300
Source: Entangled Publishing
Publication Date: February 8, 2016
Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Initial Reaction: Emoji
Falling for him wasn't in the plans...
Most girls would kill for the opportunity to work for Jack McAlister, Hollywood's hottest actor, but twenty-one-year-old Jessica Beckett is ready to kick him out of her red Ford Fiesta and never look back. She should be spending her junior year in France, eating pastries and sharpening her foreign language skills. Instead she's reluctantly working as Jack's personal assistant, thanks to her powerhouse talent agent aunt.
Jack is private, prickly, and downright condescending. Jessica pushes his buttons—she's not the type of girl to swoon over celebrity heartthrobs, precisely why her aunt thought she'd be perfect for the job—and Jack pushes right back.
But as she begins to peel away his layers, Jessica is shocked to find she craves her boss's easy smile and sexy blue eyes. The problem is, so does the entire female population. And what started out as the job from hell soon has Jess wondering if a guy like Jack could ever find love with a regular girl like her. 
Hello everyone! Today is the release for Beyond the Stars so be sure to go wish the book a happy birthday on social media! 

If I could only summarize this book in one word it would be cute. I mean, if you look at the cover you could tell that this book was going to be a cute fluffy read. I will be completely honest and say that I was a bit surprised by how unattached I felt to all the characters, but it served its purpose in being a fun story. 

I absolutely adored the relationship in the story and it has to be one of the biggest pluses this novel has. Like I said before, I didn't feel connected to any particular character but I really loved how they interacted with each other. Jess is smart-mouthed and sassy and unafraid to say what's up. Jack is your typical movie star with a sad childhood and the desire to be someone good. Their relationship was not anything close to insta-love. It was a slow and gradual one and you really get to see them go from being professional movie star and assistant to having feelings for each other.

I can't even point out the exact moment where I thought Yes they are so falling for each other. If it wasn't for the obvious "I'm in love with Jack McAllister" I wouldn't have a clear point in the story and I really liked that. It's just really refreshing to see the relationship develop like any other relationship and to see how the two of them compliment each other.

Okay I lied, I did have a favorite character and it has to be Leo. Leo's adorable and I love him. He also happens to have a snout and a curly tail. When the story started with Jess bringing Jack's pet pig to a TV interview and she had to stuff him in a shopping bag I knew he was going to be crucial in the story. Leo is just so cute and everything that he does is adorable. I wish the author didn't do what she did because Jack and Leo have one of the sweetest human/pet relationships ever but I can understand why she did it.

The story also shines a light on friendships with Jess finding out her best friend Megan might not be the most supportive person ever. It was really cool to see her slowly see how toxic their relationship was and how Meg really just wanted to be in the spotlight. That phone moment was quite terrifying...

Beyond the Stars is just your typical fun and cute story that I believe is classified as NA with a more YA writing style that makes it a quick read.
3.5/5 stars
  

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment