Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Review: The Fatal Family Secret


ASIN: B00WC7HTOY
Pages: 213
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Publication Date: May 26, 2015
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Initial Reaction: Emoji
If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be? On the first day of high school, Kayleigh wishes she could be taller, curvier, and cooler. But when she discovers she's a shape-shifter, she bites off more than she can chew. Overnight, she becomes a target, and surviving the school-year means defending herself against cyber-bullies, learning to control her new-found powers, and hiding from the ancient secret society that kidnapped her mother. Morphing has consequences, and Kayleigh begins to realize that being able to change into anything can mean losing herself in the process.



Hello everyone! Today I'm trying out a slightly new format for these reviews so please let me know if you like it! I've been spending a lot of time browsing different templates and I'm planning on giving this blog a huge makeover in the summer, but for now I'll tweak things here and there. Anyway, let's get back on track and get started on this review~

This story follows Irish mythology which I had no idea about and it made me more excited to dive more into the novel. What made me even more excited was finding out this story was based off of the Sons of Lir/Seven Swan Brothers story which is a classic favorite. The way the author incorporated the tale into her overall story was unique and everything managed to flow smoothly. There were some aspects of morphing and the whole secret society that I would have preferred to be more developed as I did have some unanswered questions, but this is the first in a series so it's not that big of a deal. For a first book, the groundwork was well laid out and a solid framework for the upcoming books.

It was really interesting to see how the author wove the issue of bullying in all aspects into the story. Kayleigh goes from becoming a scaredy cat to someone who can stand on her own two feet and that process is completed through her becoming more in touch with herself. After her mother gets kidnapped, she just wallows in this pool of self misery and pity. I mean, even her friends get fed up with her attitude. Personally, I feel like there were too many things that were being thrown at this poor girl from making that awkward transition to high school, finding out she can morph, finding out why her mother was taken, a potential love interest, some really rude people, and a secret society - she definitely has more than enough things to keep her busy.

Like I mentioned before, I still have some unanswered questions when it comes to everything and honestly some parts that were resolved were a bit unsettling for me. The rest of the characters all seemed relatively second tier and I was more focused on Kayleigh and how she was going to sort through all her problems. Bridget was...an interesting best friend to say the least and her character introduces yet another current social issue which was unexpected for lack of a better description.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to continue on the story just because I like how things ended with this one. Maybe one day in the future when I find myself wanting to find out the answers I'll pick it up, but for now I'm happy with how things are.

*Huge thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*
3.5/5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,







No comments:

Post a Comment