Monday, March 21, 2016

Review: The Vampire's Daughter

ASIN: To be determined
Pages: To be determined
Source: Author
Publication Date: March 21, 2016
Initial Reaction: 
When Ethan discovers that the love of his life, Victoria, is actually the child of a monstrous beast and must marry another man to save her family, he retreats to a monastery to live out the rest of his days alone.
But the Church has other ideas.
Ethan’s mentor asks him to lead famous vampire hunter Dom Calmet back to his home village to rid the town of the vampires that plague it. Ethan must then take a journey, emotionally and literally, back to the town of his youth and choose between love and faith when he once again meets The Vampire’s Daughter.
Containing many tropes of a classic Gothic novel combined with the sensuality of a passionate romance, The Vampire’s Daughter will leave you gasping for more.
Hello everyone! Today is the release of The Vampire's Daughter so I thought I'd get my review up for you guys as well!

The Vampire's Daughter is a vampire story unlike anything I've read before. It's dark and haunting with the right amount of stereotypes and creativity to make the read as enjoyable as possible. We follow Victoria whose mother married the vampire lord to save her sister as she tries to live a pious life, oblivious to the her father's true identity. She falls in love with Ethan, the town's star altar boy and the two plan on spending the rest of their lives together. However, Victoria soon finds out that she is just a pawn in her father's power plan and she has no control over her future. 

I started reading this book in class and I honestly could not put it down. The story starts off with a killer hook with Victoria's mother meeting her father in the forest and a bargain that sounds awfully Faustian. Victoria is like every classical female vampire. She's incredibly beautiful, obedient, and oblivious. Sometimes it's hard to believe that she can be that oblivious to her surroundings. I mean, your father never comes out except at night, he's got these gorgeous women hanging around him (that are not your mother), and he never eats. I guess it's the medieval mentality...

Moving on, I was a bit confused by the whole arranged marriage deal between Victoria's father and the other vampire lord. From what I can gather, they are trying to use her as brood mare to create a new breed of vampires to take over the world and if it gets worse I'm not sure my brain can handle it. I haven't read a ton of Gothic novels but this one just seemed to embody the word. From what I remember from class, Gothic writing is characterized by the doom and gloom, but also by its passion and individuality. Those four words pretty much summarize this book in a nutshell.

I enjoyed seeing Victoria grow from a naive little girl to someone who in end, chose what she believed was right. I also enjoyed how the story managed to paint both sides to each opinion in the story. For the humans, there were good people like Ethan and Dom Calmet, but there were also crazy religious fanatics who wanted to burn everything. For the supernatural beings, there were a lot of insane folks but we also had good ones. The wide array of characters allowed for both sides to have more depth which in the end made the story more engaging.

*I received an ARC from the author for review. All opinions are 100% my own.
  3.5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,




No comments:

Post a Comment